SIBU: State Health director Dr Chin Zin Hing has confirmed that 18 out of the 818 samples collected from the Covid-19 swab tests involving hawkers and traders at Sibu Central Market had tested positive for the virus.
He disclosed this information to the New Sarawak Tribune when contacted today to find out the results that had been carried out involving more than 800 hawkers and traders in the market since the beginning of this week.
“Of the 818 samples taken, only 18 are positive for Covid-19 so far,” he said.
Meanwhile, Sibu Municipal Council (SMC) chairman Clarence Ting Ing Horh said that the Health Ministry (MoH) would carry out swab tests for the second time to hawkers and market traders from next Monday (Feb 22) to Wednesday (Feb 24).
“The swab test on all licensed hawkers and traders was completed on Friday (Feb 19).
“However, all of them are required to undergo the second testing next week.
“We advise hawkers and traders to undergo the second test held at the Sibu Central Market premises. They need to stay put (not going elsewhere) so that we know how many of them are tested positive (for Covid-19),” he said.
Sibu Central Market is temporarily closed until Feb 28.
Ting said the decision was taken following directive issued by the Sibu Division Health Office.
“This is to comply with the directives issued under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1998 in our joint efforts to curb the spread of Covid-19,” he said.