KUCHING: More than 20 tonnes in food assistance have been distributed in the Santubong parliamentary constituency since last week, said its MP Datuk Seri Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar.
He said the assistance was distributed to families living in villages placed under the emergency movement control order (EMCO) as well as those under home quarantine.
“To date, more than 3,000 families involving more than 13,000 residents from Tabuan Melayu, Bintawa Hillir and several other villages in the areas, have received food supplies,” he said in a statement on Sunday (Aug 1).
Wan Junaidi said the villages involved are Tabuan Lot, Tabuan Tengah, Tabuan Hilir, Tabuan Dani, Tabuan Cemerlang, Tabuan Lama, Bintawa Hilir, Kampung Temenggong Matang, Kampung Temedak, Kampung Pulo, KampungSurabaya, Kampung Santubong, Bandar Baru Samariang and Kampung Rampangi.
“Each household received a food pack of essential items, including canned food, fresh meat as well as fresh chicken,” he said.
The MP said a special task force from his parliamentary service centre are now actively delivering food aid to those in need, especially villagers who are affected by the lockdown.
“I am constantly communicating with my officers to get up dates on the situation. On our side, we are doing our best to ensure that the people in my constituent are taken care of,” he said.
Meanwhile, on the recent announcement of a six-month emergency proclamation in Sarawak, Wan Junaidi said the move is necessary to ensure that the state is able to fully focus on efforts to combat the spread of Covid-19.
“There are lots of issues that we need to look at right now, particular on the public safety as well as economic recovery. This is our priority right now.
“I hope all of us can be united in our effort to battle Covid-19. Let’s set whatever political differences aside,” the Federal Entrepreneur Development and Cooperatives Minister said.