21 mostly students die in massive fire (video)

NEW DELHI: At least 21 people were killed when a fire broke out in a four-storey commercial building in the city of Surat in India’s western state of Gujarat on Friday.

Television footage broadcast by private channel NDTV showed people jumping off the top floor of the Takshashila building or trying to escape by climbing down, as thick smoke billowed out.

Most of the dead were students who had been attending class at a tuition centre housed in the building, according to the spokesman for the office of Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani.

Fire trucks and ambulances are seen after a fire broke out in a four-story commercial building in Surat, in the western state of Gujarat, India. Photo: REUTERS/Stringer

“The fire started near the staircase, so they could not get down,” Joint Commissioner of Police Harikrishna Patel said, adding that all of the dead were aged below 20 years.

The blaze, likely caused due to an electrical short circuit, started between 3.45-4pm local time and spread rapidly, Patel said.

Television footage showed people trying to grab a large banner on the side of the building as they plummeted down.

Rupani has ordered an inquiry into the incident and asked Mukesh Puri, principal secretary of the urban development department, to submit a report within three days, the spokesman for his office said.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Twitter he was thinking of the bereaved families.

“Extremely anguished by the fire tragedy in Surat,” Modi said. “May the injured recover quickly,” he said, adding he had instructed authorities to help those affected. – Reuters

At least 21 students died in a massive fire in a commercial building in Surat.

The students were attending their tuition class when the fire engulfed the area, supposedly due to a short circuit.  “Around ten students trapped on the third and fourth floors jumped from windows to save themselves from fire and smoke. Many have been rescued and sent to hospital.

The operation to douse the fire is on,” said an official at the Surat fire control room. That is the story of the above clip. The students simply have no chance!