72,000 households in Sibu receive food assistance

KUCHING: A total of 72,000 households in Sibu division have received food assistance since the movement control order (MCO) was implemented there on Jan 16.

Senator Robert Lau Hui Yew said the state government has spent RM5 million for the purpose compared to RM2 million spent on similar assistance for Sibu folks during the first MCO last year.

The Sarawak United People’s Party (SUPP) Bawang Assan chief also said about 27,000 swabs have been carried out in Sibu division over the past three weeks with 1,626 positive cases recorded.

“A total of 94 longhouses have been affected by the pandemic which started at a longhouse in Pasai Siong and has since been dubbed the Pasai Cluster,” he said.

Last Saturday, Lau attended a briefing session on the Covid-19 situation in Sibu for Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg by the Divisional Disaster Management Committee (DDMC).

“The Chief Minister reminded that the country is under Emergency and we will need the cooperation of both the public and private sectors. Enforcement will be enhanced to ensure compliance with the standard operating procedures (SOPs),” he said.

Lau added that Sarawak has its autonomy in terms of managing and preventing infectious diseases in the state. This has enabled the state to plan its course of action and work to contain the spread of Covid-19 pandemic, he said in a Facebook post.

Lau said with the MCO in Sibu extended until Feb 14, the upcoming Chinese New Year celebration this year will be a private affair and limited to family members who are staying together.

“Everyone has to do their part. The government is continuing with the strategy of trace, test, isolate and treat.

“The only way to break the chain is for everyone to comply with the SOP. This is the best way for us to support our front liners now,” he said.