9 killed after bus plunges into Costa Rican ravine
By:AFP
Date:
COSTA RICA-ACCIDENT-BUS

SAN JOSÉ: At least nine people were killed and four left missing when a bus and two other vehicles plunged into a ravine in a mountainous part of Costa Rica, the Red Cross reported Sunday.

The bus, car and motorcycle slid into the 75-metre-deep ravine on Saturday when heavy rain caused a landslide at the El Hundimiento mountain pass, around 80 kilometres west of the capital San Jose.

Rescue services have pulled around 50 survivors, including the bus driver, from the gorge, according to the Costa Rican Social Security in charge of the country’s public health services.

“As of now, we know of nine people who did not have vital signs,” the Red Cross tweeted after the accident, adding that four people remain missing.

The bus was traveling between San José and Guanacaste Province with 47 people on board, the owner of the transport company, German Alfaro, told Costa Rican daily La Nacion.

The Red Cross had previously estimated the number of passengers at around 60.

Images shared by the rescue services showed the wreckage of the bus at the bottom of the ravine in a mountainous region where recovery efforts were particularly challenging.

Locals in the area said the accident was caused by a lack of protective barriers or signage along the road.

“We have been abandoned for years,” Gilber Martinez told television station Canal 7.

But the government termed the incident unpredictable.

“It is not the fault of the government or the bus company. It is something we cannot predict,” Minister of Public Works and Transportation Luis Amador said.

Specialists from the University of Costa Rica released a report in March warning of the risk of road collapse in the area.

Costa Rican President Rodrigo Chaves declared three days of national mourning and said he will not attend the United Nations General Assembly in New York because of the emergency in his country caused by heavy rains. – AFP

New Sarawak Tribune e-Paper

Related Post

Ankara declares 7-day national mourning as over 2,300 killed in quake
6 hours ago
16 injured as express bus overturns 
1 day ago
ASEAN needs come back stronger together to achieve quality, sustainable tourism
2 days ago
US shoots down suspected Chinese spy balloon
2 days ago
S. Korean fishing boat capsized; 9 missing
2 days ago
Sri Lanka celebrates 75 year of independence from British rule
3 days ago
NASA orbiter finds bear-like face on Mars
6 days ago
Indonesian leprosy survivor crafts new limbs for shunned villagers
1 week ago

Promoted Content

Latest News

MAIPs allowed to intervene in custody order granted to single mum  
16 seconds ago
Two friends escape the gallows for drug possession
49 mins ago
M’sian NGOs send aid to Turkiye-Syria quake victims
1 hour ago
Stay safe while using internet: Minister
1 hour ago
High Court throws out Masjid Tanah parliamentary seat election petition
2 hours ago

Quicklinks

Subscribe and get the latest news from NewSarawakTribune.com.my

New Sarawak Tribune is a Sarawakian news portal that highlights Sarawak-centric news and other stories of relevance to Sarawak.

Today, New Sarawak Tribune focuses on happenings in Sarawak’s cities, towns and small places no matter how remote these are and events of relevance in other states of Malaysia and other countries.