The remains of the acid victim's clothes after she was taken to hospital.

KUCHING: A 40-year-old school laboratory assistant who suffered burns from spilled concentrated sulfuric acid spill was rushed to Sarawak General Hospital yesterday.

According to a senior fireman, Abdul Hafiz Abdul Khalid, they received a call from SM Sains Kuching Utara in Matang regarding a sulfuric acid spill in the school’s lab storeroom around 7.30am.

The remains of the acid victim’s clothes after she was taken to hospital.

The department immediately dispatched its Hazardous Material Unit Team (Hazmat) to the scene.

Upon arrival, the 19 firefighters from Petra Jaya and Tabuan Jaya fire station found that the 98% concentrated sulfuric acid was still flowing.

The victim’s lower back and waist were burned by the acid.

Abdul Hafiz reported that the team equipped with protective suits (CPS) found the acid reading at pH 1. The acid was neutralised using soda ash up to a reading of pH 7.

The victim was rushed to Sarawak General Hospital after getting early treatment at the scene.