Uggah speaking at the conference.

KUCHING:  Sarawak is appealing to the National Security Council (NSC) to allow entry into the state of some Indonesians in the construction industry, revealed chairman of the State Disaster Management Committee (SDMC), Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas on Monday.

“We will announce the outcome of our appeal,” he told a Covid-19 press conference at Old State Legislative Assembly (DUN) Building.

Uggah added that Sarawak was currently following the federal government’s directive to ban entry to Malaysia of citizens from 53 countries including Indonesia to curb the spread of Covid-19.

“However, Malaysians coming into the state from the Peninsular, Sabah and Labuan are still allowed to enter freely, and subjected to random screening at entry points all over the state,” explained Uggah.

On a separate matter, he said that SDMCs at the divisional level would continue to monitor the floods in the state’s central region which had been happening since Monday.

“SDMC is multitasking; we are also looking after Covid-19, rabies, droughts and also floods.

“I have also discussed with the divisional level committees and they are ready to deal with any upcoming issues. We are always prepared for anything,” he added.