MIRI: Two business owners, who spoke to New Sarawak Tribune, have disclosed that they had been badly affected by the movement control order (MCO) that began on March 18.
One, who wished to be identified only as Chua, said since the MCO was implemented, business at his eatery in Marina Square here had dropped by 60 percent.
“We were temporarily closed since the stage one of the MCO and just resumed business on May 16,” he said yesterday.
Despite the hardships that they had to endure during the MCO, Chua is still grateful that the building landlord had given him and other tenants rental discounts during the MCO period.
“We are all trying to cope,” he said.
A coffee shop owner, Annie Tong, meanwhile said she had to cut down on some expenses in order to have enough cash to pay her workers.
“We don’t have much choice as we have to pay for the rent,” she said.
Tong also expressed a huge relief when the state government announced the Sarawakku Sayang Special Assistance grant of RM1,500 to traders and petty hawkers.