Abang Johari (centre foreground) is briefed on the saltwater intrusions and water shortage in Sebuyau by its assemblyman, Julaihi Narawi (right).

KUCHING: The state Cabinet did not abandon the open tender process for awarding of projects, said Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg.

He assured that the state government would continue to uphold principles of integrity and good governance in the award of mega projects in the state.

Abang Johari was responding to a statement from Batu Lintang assemblyman See Chee How who claimed otherwise last week.

“We haven’t (abandoned the open tender process), there will be an explanation from the ministry,” he said referring to the Infrastructure and Ports Development Ministry.

He was fielding questions from the media during a press conference here yesterday.

The chief minister assured that, for the ministry (Infrastructure and Ports Development) and the rest of the Cabinet, there remained a set of procedures that they had to comply with in terms of awarding projects to contractors.

Last Friday, See had insinuated that the state cabinet had abandoned the open tender process for the various work packages of the Coastal Highway project including the construction of bridges along with the Second Trunk Road project.

He alleged that this extended to certain mega projects including airports and port extension projects where several companies were invited for direct negotiation to undertake the projects.

See had said that the state government owed Sarawakians an open explanation for its radical executive decision.