KUCHING: The construction of the Sungai Mujong cable-stayed bridge in Baleh, Kapit is progressing smoothly and is scheduled to be completed by Sept 2020.
Deputy Chief Minister Tan Sri Dr James Jemut Masing said the construction started in July 28, 2016 and should have been completed in April 20 this year.
He said the delay was due to the nationwide movement control order (MCO) which took effect on March 18 to curb the spread of Covid-19.
“This Sungai Mujong cable-stayed bridge is 174.5m-long and takes up a cost of RM37 million,” he told New Sarawak Tribune today (Aug 3).
With the completion of the bridge, he said it will provide convenience for the people in Baleh.
“The first cable-stayed bridge is in Lawas, and for Sungai Mujong, this is the second one expected to be completed next month,” said the Baleh assemblyman.
Masing, who is also the Infrastructure and Ports Development Minister said the under-construction bridges in Lawas included the Limbang cable-stayed bridge, Rambungan bridge, Batang Lupar bridge and Batang Saribas bridge.
Earlier on, the symbolic topping ceremony at the bridge was performed by Masing.
Also present was Pelagus assemblyman Wilson Nyabong.