File Photo: Bernama

KUALA LUMPUR: The government’s decision to allow operators of commercial fields, futsal courts, sports facilities and academies to resume operation beginning next Wednesday, is seen as the best move to boost local amateur football activities.

In welcoming the decision, several operators said the decision would help them to generate income after being affected by the implementation of the movement control order (MCO) on March 18 to curb the Covid-19 pandemic.

Enervive Sdn Bhd chief executive officer, Khairulnizam Bakeri said the latest government announcement was a relief to him as he had to shut down two facilities since February, one field at Sultan Sulaiman Club, Kampung Baru, and three fields at Rhino KV Arena, Shah Alam, with gross losses of about RM1.2 million.

At the same time, he said he had prepared in the standard operating procedure (SOP) stipulated by the Ministry of Health (MOH) and the National Security Council (MKN) to comply with social distancing and ban on large-scale gatherings.

“We have prepared the SOP two months ago and will distribute it via our social media platforms, e-mail, players, and team officers who have made reservations, and they are required to comply with the SOP drafted based on the recommendations of authorities.

“We will not face any problem in monitoring SOP compliance as the names of those who made reservations were already registered in our data system. So far, we are only allowing players and officers involved to use our facilities, while supporters are still not allowed to enter,” he told Bernama here today.

The same view was also voiced by Arena Legacy Sdn Bhd director, Nadzry Abu Bakar who opined the latest government’s decision as giving a ‘new breath’ to the company which had to bear gross losses of up to RM2 million following the MCO.

He said there was encouraging response from the public as soon as the government gave the green light to commercial field operators to operate as usual.

“For me, this is the best decision even though we were actually expecting the government to approve our application sooner than July 15, but we are grateful for the decision.

“Despite the overwhelming demand from amateur football players, we are streamlining the existing SOP before our facility is expected to reopen in mid-August,” Nadzry explained.

Arena Legacy Sdn Bhd has five commercial fields, two each at Arena 26, Shah Alam and Radia Arena, Bukit Jelutong, plus one at Gardens Arena, Sungai Buloh, and most of these facilities are used for Social League, Community League and Football Association of Selangor (FAS).

Yesterday, Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced that the operators of commercial fields, futsal courts, sports facilities, and academies are also allowed to operate beginning July 15. – Bernama