Crowd control at Sibu market

Clarence Ting

KUCHING: Crowd control measures will be implemented at the Sibu Civic Centre market starting Saturday (Jan 30).

Sibu Municipal Council (SMC) chairman Clarence Ting said the move was necessary due to overcrowding at the market.

He said that following observations of overcrowding at the market, the council’s public health and hawker team discussed with the market managers (at the Civic Centre market).

“It is agreed that by Saturday (tomorrow), they will start crowd control measures, limiting the number of visitors at any one time. We hope by doing this, shopping at the market will be safe for everyone,” he said in a Facebook post today.

Earlier, Ting visited the market to monitor the standard operating procedure (SOP) compliance of the traders amidst the ongoing movement control order (MCO).

In a separate post, the SMC chairman said there was no change to the regulation where only two people are allowed in one car.

“Yesterday, it was rumoured that police were checking for people with more than one person per car. No wonder in the afternoon I received messages and phone calls asking me about this matter.

“I told them as far as I knew there wasn’t any change in the regulation. The Sibu police chief was also reported to have said the regulation of two persons per car was valid,” he said.

On Wednesday, the Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) extended the MCO in Sibu until Feb 14 due to high positive Covid-19 cases in the district.

It was reported previously that despite the MCO, crowded situation at a number of places was commonplace, indicating that it was still ‘business as usual’ for the Sibu folk.