KUCHING: Sarawak has recorded a decline in positive cases of Covid-19 transmission since the implementation of the movement control order (MCO) on March 18.
Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg told a press conference yesterday that if the trend continued, there was a possibility that Sarawak would have zero case by the end of the MCO.
He noted that in the beginning of the MCO, 10 positive cases were recorded on March 21 but since then, the number of cases had declined.
“It went down to eight positive cases recorded the next day (March 22), followed by six, five and four. Today (March 26) also recorded four cases.
“And if we continue to abide by the MCO, there is a possibility after 14 days, this trend will come down. Today is the ninth day, so there is possibility.
“Hopefully, we will be able to achieve zero (positive case) or at least, within 16 to 17 days, it will come to zero,” he told reporters at Wisma Bapa Malaysia yesterday.
Abang Johari appealed to all Sarawakians to continue to abide by the MCO and stay at home.
When asked why Sarawak extended the MCO since the curve is stabilised, he said that the state was following the decision of Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin to extend it until April 14.
On Wednesday, Muhyiddin announced the extension of the MCO — initially scheduled from March 18 to 31 — to continue for another two weeks.