KUCHING: A fire broke out in a factory at Jalan Bako, Demak Laut Industrial Park here yesterday (Jan 28).
State Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) operations centre said witnesses informed that the fire is believed to have been caused by flying sparks hitting an aluminum foil during welding works on the roof.
An emergency call through MERS 999 was received at 3.40pm and firefighters from Tabuan and Petra Jaya fire stations were deployed to the scene.
“Upon arrival, Tabuan Jaya fire station operations commander informed that a large fire has occurred and requested help to contact Sarawak Energy Berhad (SEB) to cut off the electricity supply.
“The fire was under control within five minutes,” the operations centre said yesterday (Jan 28).
It added that about 20 percent of the building was damaged by the fire and that no casualties were reported.