Free school bus service put off

Azmi Bujang. Photo: Ghazali Bujang

KUCHING: The free school bus service, covering 30 primary and secondary schools in Kuching and Padawan districts, has been postponed by another two weeks to mid-August, said Yayasan Sarawak director Azmi Bujang.

The postponement was made following the Sarawak Disaster Management Committee’s (SDMC) decision to postpone the resumption of primary and secondary school classes in Kuching, Padawan and Samarahan.

“SDMC had given its directive to us to postpone the free school bus operation to Aug 17 as per school schedule,” he said yesterday.

This comes after Kuching district was declared a red zone on Wednesday, after 52 new local transmissions had been reported in the district.

Azmi added that any decision or updates relating to the free school bus service programme would be based on SDMC’s decision.

The programme, an initiative of the state government, was supposed to commence on Aug 3.