Housemen bullying list involves specialist doctors

Date:

PUTRAJAYA: The list of doctors allegedly involved in bullying trainee doctors or housemen at Penang Hospital received by the Ministry of Health (MOH) also involves specialist doctors, said Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin.

Speaking to reporters after officiating the International Nurses’ Day 2022 event here today, he said the MOH Integrity Unit had been instructed to conduct further investigations into allegations of bullying at the hospital, while an independent special task force will also be set up.

Khairy said the list of members of the special task force to investigate the issue of bullying, as well as other details, will be announced tomorrow, adding that he will not chair the special task force.

Yesterday, Penang Agrotechnology and Food Safety, Rural Development, and Health Committee chairman Dr Norlela Ariffin submitted the names of five doctors allegedly involved in bullying housemen to the MOH.

Asked whether the five doctors involved have been temporarily suspended, Khairy said all of them were still on duty as usual but the investigations would continue.

“We can’t simply just transfer them elsewhere; we have to establish first what had taken place… some names (in the list) are specialist doctors. So, transferring them would not be easy. For now, everyone is working as usual, but the investigations continue,” he said.

He added that the investigations were expected to take several weeks.

“It involves serious allegations such as bullying and also an unprofessional work culture. The investigation will involve an interview session with the complainant and the accused,” he said.

On April 17, a 25-year-old male trainee doctor was found dead, believed to have fallen from his residential unit in a building near Penang hospital.

Penang Health Department director Dr Maarof Sudin confirmed that the houseman was a graduate medical officer who had reported for work at the hospital on April 4, and his (Dr Maarof) team would give full cooperation to the police in the investigation. – Bernama

Indonesia gets three months for illegal entry

KUCHING: An Indonesian man was sentenced to three months’ jail by the Sessions Court here on Tuesday for entering Sarawak without a valid travel...

Share post:

Our Opinion

More like this
Related

Maintain peace and harmony

“I am thankful and proud that Sarawakians have remained...

Children’s books leave lasting impression on Hanifah

BY RAHIMI RAHIM MUKAH: A teacher’s efforts to get her...

TYT pays glowing tribute to the late Masing

HEAD of State Tun Pehin Sri Abdul Taib Mahmud...

Sarawak records 675,077 new voters following changes

KUCHING: A total of 675,077 of new voters are...

Taib wants Putrajaya to enhance border security efforts

THE FEDERAL government has been urged to work closely...

Taib believes Feds will not neglect Sarawak

19TH DUN SITTING HEAD of State Tun Pehin Sri Abdul...

Woman loses RM31k in job scam

SIBU: It happened yet again. This time a woman...

Taib, wife attend 19th DUN Sitting opening

THE SECOND MEETING of the First Session of the...

Food court awaits department approval

SELANGAU: Medan Selera Selangau, which is awaiting construction, has...

Get children vaccinated by end of May, parents urged

BY NEVILLE TIMOTHY SANDERS AND ANNABELL NAJA TOMMY SEBUYAU: Parents...

Rep wants tourist attractions in Betong to get more promotion

By Gabriel Lihan BETONG: The tourism industry in Betong has...

Adi Badiozaman named Tokoh Kepimpinan Pendidikan Kebangsaan

BY NATASHA JEE & ALEXANDRA LORNA KUCHING: In recognition of...