KUCHING: A total of 36 persons were arrested for defying the movement control order on Tuesday, the end of the first phase of the MCO.
Sarawak Police Commissioner Datuk Aidi Ismail said the number showed a decline compared to the previous day when 46 persons were arrested.
They were detained at police roadblocks and patrols carried out throughout the state.
“The total number of arrests from throughout the first phase of the order (Mar 18 to 31) was 312 individuals,” Aidi said when contacted yesterday.
As at Mar 31, 150 people have been charged for violating the MCO, with 125 of them pleading guilty and sentenced to varying fines or imprisonment while 18 had pleaded not guilty.
“From the 125 accused, 69 were ordered to serve jail sentences, 29 were ordered to serve jail time and fined while 14 were fined.”
He added that arrest warrants have been issued to seven individuals who failed to attend the court proceedings.
“The number of arrests is likely to diminish as many fear the jail sentence that had been handed down to those found guilty by the court,” he said.
Aidi also said that the authorities had recorded 95.3 per cent compliance as at the end of the first phase of the MCO.