KUCHING: The statewide lockdown will be extended by another two weeks from June 15-28, State Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) chairman Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas said last night.
He said Sarawak was following Putrajaya’s decision to extend the third movement control order (MCO 3.0) which ends on June 14.
“We’ll follow the federal government’s decision to extend the MCO. It’s a nationwide decision…we are following,” he told New Sarawak Tribune when contacted today.
Uggah said the state government made the decision as the number of new positive Covid-19 cases daily was high with another 699 cases reported today, bringing the total number of positive cases in the state to 54,330.
It also recorded eight deaths today, bringing the state’s death toll to 342.
Earlier, Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced the decision to extend the lockdown was decided at the National Security Council (NSC) special meeting chaired by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, on the recommendation of the Ministry of Health (MoH).
“This decision was made after taking into account that the number of daily cases is still high at over 5,000 cases a day, with the average number of new cases until today being 6,871,” he said.
He said the positive/negative list and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for each manufacturing, business and industrial sector will remain as previously announced and this can be referred via the websites of the related ministries.
Further details on the SOPs can be obtained through the MKN website at www.mkn.gov.my.
He said since there has been no change to the previous positive/negative list and SOPs, it is hoped that there would be no more confusion on the SOP enforcement.
Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri said the enhanced movement control order (Emco) at four longhouses in Sarawak, namely Rimong anak Kilat, Asin anak Aji, Bija anak Unggang and Undum anak Anchih, Sungai Duan as well as at Kampung Pasir Putih Block B, PPR Taman Sri Balung, Kampung Baru Pasir Putih in Tawau, Sabah would be lifted today.
On SOP violations, he said 828 individuals were arrested nationwide on Thursday (June 10) and of the number, 759 were compounded, 68 were remanded while another was released on bail.