The fire started from the middle of the longhouse before going out of control.

KUCHING: A 26-door longhouse, Rumah Lepang Sayat, at Engkilili was razed by fire at about 2pm yesterday, rendering at least 100 families homeless.

The fire was said to have started on the upper floor in the middle of the longhouse believed due to faulty electrical wiring.

The fire started from the middle of the longhouse before going out of control.

Sri Aman DAP chairman, Leon Jimat said he had been in contact with his party members who were there to assist.

“Fortunately, no one was hurt in the afternoon fire but most of them lost all their belongings,” he added.

Leon also said that the longhouse was built in 2001 with a concrete ground floor after it was shifted from another location.

Former Lubuk Antu MP Jawah Gerang was one of the occupants.

The longhouse residents moving their belongings and vehicles away from the burning longhouse. Thick billiowing smoke can be seen from a distance.
What is left of the longhouse as firefighters continue to douse simmering embers.