Longhouse resident fined RM1,200 for committing mischief

Date:

spot_img

SIBU: A 44-year-old man was fined RM1,200, in default two months’ imprisonment, by the Magistrates’ Court for committing mischief.

Magistrate Mohd Syukri Mokhtar on Tuesday (May 17) handed down the sentence after Stephen Japok from Teku-Pasai Road, pleaded guilty to the charge.

According to the charge sheet, the accused damaged property belonging to Catherine Chard, 49, which caused her losses estimated at RM200.

The incident happenned at a longhouse in Teku-Pasai Road at about 7.40pm on May 14.

Framed under Section 427 of the Penal Code, the offence provides for an imprisonment term of between one year and five years or fine or both upon conviction.

Prosecuting officer Insp Badrul Iskandar told the court that while the complainant was in her house, she heard something broken on the day of the incident.

She went out to check and saw a man, believed to be drunk.

The man, later identified as the accused, went berserk and damaged her wooden wall, table, chair, dustbin and radio.

A fight then erupted between the complainant and the accused at the common area of their longhouse.

At about 11.15pm, police arrested the accused at an unnumbered house at the longhouse.

Police also found and seized a piece of wood measuring 26 inches.

Investigation revealed that the accused went berserk because he was dissatisfied with the complainant, who switched on the radio loudly at the front yard of the longhouse.

The accused had earlier advised the complainant to lower the volume but was ignored by the complainant.

The accused then took a stick and destroyed the radio and a chair in the complainant’s home.

Insp Badrul told the court that the complainant then came out from her house and scolded the accused. A struggle ensued, witnessed by other occupants of the longhouse.

Meanwhile, both the accused and the complainant were charged with committing affray and were each fined RM1,000, in default one month’s jail.

Both pleaded guilty and paid the fines.

Miri two-wheel rubbish bin promotion is back

MIRI: Mayor Adam Yii has disclosed that the two-wheel rubbish bin promotion is back and will start from July 1 to Sept 30. “During the...

Share post:

Our Opinion

More like this
Related

Finas exchanges ideas with local players

KUCHING: The National Film Development Corporation of Malaysia (Finas)...

Chamber proposes convention centre in Miri

MIRI: The Chamber of Sarawak Bumiputera Entrepreneurs (DUBS) here...

Jeniri appointed UMS panel advisor

KUCHING: Senior fellow of the Malaysian Council of Professors...

PBB new wing awaits RoS nod

KUCHING: Parti Pesaka Bumiputera Bersatu (PBB) is now waiting...

State not letting up on education autonomy

KUCHING: Negotiations are still ongoing with the federal government...

SUPP rallies members to develop together

BINTULU: Sarawak United People's Party (SUPP) secretary-general Datuk Sebastian...

Show of support for school’s inauguration

SERIAN: Support from members of parliament (MP) is very...

Students can explore study options

By Mohd Zahid Ahmad Zaki KUCHING: Yayasan Sarawak organised the...

Council chief seeks funds to improve facilities

PADAWAN: Padawan Municipal Council (MPP) Chairman Lo Khere Chiang...

Paxlovid only meant for Categories 4 and 5

KUCHING: The Paxlovid antiviral pill, developed by Pfizer, should...

MIS to set up panel on needs of ummah

KUCHING: The Sarawak Islamic Council (MIS) is in the...

Development priorities under discussions

SPAOH: More discussions will be held on development priorities...