KUCHING: Sarawakians are told to minimise their movements and avoid outdoor and social activities in the next few weeks.
Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Seri Dr Sim Kui Hian said the general public must work together to help arrest the surge of Covid-19 cases and keep themselves safe.
“Until Feb 14, please reduce inter-district movements and also movements within district, towns and cities.
“There should be no social family gathering including funerals, work from home and shop only when necessary and go alone,” he said in a Facebook post on Wednesday.
Dr Sim also echoed the call by the Sarawak Health Department director for those with symptoms or worries about exposure to outbreak area in the state to come forward to be tested.
“We need everyone’s cooperation, help, understanding, sacrifices and solidarity to bring Covid-19 and the number of deaths in Sibu and whole of Sarawak down.
“Anger, frustration, panic, finger pointing, politics, fake news and rumours do not help. These only make the situation worse,” he said.
On Wednesday, State Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) chairman Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas said the movement control order (MCO) in Sibu and conditional movement control order (CMCO) state-wide would be extended to Feb 14.
The deputy chief minister said the decision was in view of positive high Covid-19 cases in Sarawak and declining number of green zones.
“To date, there are only 11 green zones out of 40 districts remaining. This shows that the Covid-19 situation in Sarawak is not under control yet,” he told a press conference.
Sibu was previously put under MCO for two weeks from Jan 16 to 29. The CMCO enforced on all other divisions in Sarawak was previously enforced from Jan 18 to 31.