Ministry wants oil palm smallholders obtain MSPO certification

Khairuddin (left) exchanges a memento with Abang Johari.

KUCHING: Plantation Industries and Commodities Ministry has requested the state government to assist in achieving 100 percent Malaysian Sustainable Palm Oil (MSPO) certification among oil palm smallholders in Sarawak.

Its Minister Datuk Dr Mohd Khairuddin Aman Razali said to date only 56 percent of oil palm smallholders in Sarawak have obtained the MSPO certification while the remaining 44 percent have not been certified.

“We really need the help of the Sarawak government for us to campaign together and resolve issues involving customary land and so on.

“Through this courtesy call, we hope that our desire to achieve 100 percent MSPO certification among oil palm smallholders can be achieved in the near future,” he said to reporters after paying a courtesy call on Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg at Wisma Bapa Malaysia here today.

Mohd Khairuddin said the courtesy call was aimed at discussing issues to strengthen the plantation and commodity sectors in the region as well on the MSPO certification.

The MSPO standard was made mandatory by the end 2019. The certification provides a credible, sustainable and responsible management, to bring about positive social, environmental and economic impacts, while minimising the negative impacts of oil palm plantation, particularly on the surrounding people and the environment.

Mohd Khairuddin said the meeting also discussed efforts to boost the pepper industry in Sarawak.

“The black pepper is a trademark for Sarawak and also a great prospect for the country. We are not only expanding the size of (the pepper) plantations in Sarawak, but also in the Peninsula,” he said.

He also told the chief minister about his ministry’s plans to provide a commercial plantation to plant bamboos in Bintulu.

“There are applications from companies to plant bamboo commercially on a large area of ​​up to 5,000 hectares,” he explained.

He said Abang Johari was also informed of the federal ministry’s intent to further increase the involvement of local entrepreneurs in the cocoa industry.