Miri, Sibu record fatal cases

KUCHING: Sarawak recorded two deaths in a span of four days due to Covid-19. One was recorded on July 14 and the other today.

The previous reported death was on July 26 last year when a 63-year-old woman passed away at Sarawak General Hospital (SGH).

State Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) chairman Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas said the 20th death was Case 2,065, a 42-year-old Sarawakian man admitted to Miri Hospital on Jan 13 after losing consciousness and pronounced dead on Jan 14.

“The case’s swab test was taken on Jan 14 and was positive on Jan 16.

“The case also had other comorbid diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure and Hepatitis C infection,” Uggah said during SDMC’s press conference on Monday.

He clarified that the 21st death, a 55-year-old Sarawakian man, who was confirmed positive on Jan 15, and was admitted to Sibu Hospital the same day.

“The case comes from Kanowit District and is a close contact to the Pasai Cluster, which was screened on Jan 12.

“The case has high blood pressure, diabetes and kidney infection and was confirmed dead at 1.41am today.”

Uggah said there were also 100 new cases in Sarawak on Monday, bringing the total number of positive cases to 2,211.

He elaborated that Sibu recorded the highest number of cases with 37 individuals followed by Belulu (27), Betong (seven), Miri (seven), Kuching (six), Bintulu (four), Selangau (four), Sri Aman (three), Lubok Antu (three), Sarikei (one) and Kanowit (one).

“Out of the 37 cases in Sibu, 28 cases are related to the Pasai Cluster, eight from self-screening and one, who returned from areas at risk of infection.

“Meanwhile, 27 cases detected in Beluru also stemmed from the Pasai Cluster.”