KUCHING: The Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) programme is expected to be reinstated by December, says Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri.
She was shedding light on a recent report that the MM2H centre at the Tourism Ministry had been closed “until further notice”.
Nancy assured that the freeze was not permanent as it was a crucial part of the country’s economy.
She explained that the freeze was made upon the discovery that many improvements could be made towards the programme.
“During the MCO (movement control order), we discovered that there’s a lot that we can do to improve MM2H.
“So the government is taking the opportunity during this time to review and look into the activities and also the processes involved in the approval of MM2H applications,” she told the press after a tour of the Songket & Keringkam Gallery, Jalan Masjid near Padang Merdeka here on Thursday (July 2).
It was also reported on last Thursday that the Immigration Department would handle all matters related to the MM2H programme beginning next Monday, July 6.
She noted that the freeze was made on the ministry’s part whereby the Immigration Department was currently looking into the processes involved in the programme.
“The ministry is also involved in the study to provide some improvements to the processes.
“We cannot afford to leave it frozen for a long time as it involves money for the country,” she added.
State Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah, commenting on the matter, said the freeze on MM2H applications only applied to West Malaysia.
“For Sarawak, it is still ongoing because during the last Cabinet meeting, we have just approved a new directive for our MM2H.
“This matter also concerns the immigration and land policy difference between West and East Malaysia because it relates to ownership of properties,” he explained.