More people coming forward for swab tests

Dr Sim Kui Hian undergoes a swab test on Saturday.

KUCHING: The Covid-19 One Stop Centre (COSC) at Dewan Masyarakat Kuching has conducted swab tests on a total of 4,795 persons since it began operation on May 3.

Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) advisor Datuk Seri Dr Sim Kui Hian said more people were turning up daily at the centre to get themselves tested.

“Very happy to see significant increase in numbers of PCR swab today (Saturday) though only (operating) for half a day.

“Thanks to the public for playing their role and doing their part to come forward to be tested,” he said in a Facebook post.

Earlier this week, the Batu Kawa assemblyman had shared that over 3,700 individuals took their swab tests at the centre located at the Kuching South City Council’s (MBKS) Dewan Masyarakat as of May 12.

In a daily report by Kuching COSC, it said 465 new PCR swab tests were conducted on Saturday at the centre with another 159 tests conducted by its mobile team.

At the same time, it also served 189 new quarantine orders, taking the total to 1,715 quarantine orders served.

Dr Sim said one of the functions of COSC is to serve as mass screening centre for Covid-19 where testing is free if it falls under the community surveillance category.

“Sarawak government has been assisting the State Health Department which is a federal government agency with millions spent, where an average of RM1 million is allocated for 10,000 PCR swabs.

“This is because Sarawakian lives are at risk and it does not matter whether the funding is from the Health Ministry in Kuala Lumpur or the Sarawak (government).

“The lives of the people must come first,” he said.