No sabong ayam permit for Gawai

Date:

BINTULU: Licences for cockfighting will not be issued for the upcoming Gawai Dayak celebration said Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg.

“I have to apologise for this as I have issued a directive to the State Secretary and the Residents to not issue cockfighting licences.

“We ask that the public be vigilant this coming Gawai. The responsibility (to curb Covid-19) is on yourselves as what we want is to have more Gawai celebrations in years to come.

“If we are infected by Covid-19, it may turn out that this Gawai will be the last and we have no more Gawai (after this),” he said.

He said this to reporters after a briefing on the Covid-19 situation in Bintulu yesterday (May 19).

Abang Johari said to date, Sarawak recorded more than 200 deaths to Covid-19 in 2021 compared to only 19 deaths for the whole of last year.

“If we can cut off its transmission, the virus can be eliminated and will not be able to infect others. That is why it is important for us to have self-discipline and observe the standard operating procedures (SOPs).

“If the directive is stay home, then stay home. We have to protect ourselves and our family. I thank the people for their cooperation as we are able to manage the Covid-19 cases over the recent Hari Raya festive season,” he said.

The chief minister said for Bintulu, the Covid-19 situation in the district was worrying but has been kept under control by the local disaster management committee.

“The reduced cases for today (Wednesday) in Bintulu are due to interventions by the authorities where stringent SOPs were employed,” he said.

At the same time, the chief minister also appealed to community leaders and longhouse heads to enforce the SOPs at their respective areas to prevent further spread of Covid-19.

“Let us be disciplined this coming Gawai and hopefully we will have the opportunity to celebrate Gawai next year when Covid-19 subsides.

“At the moment, we have to sacrifice for the future,” he said.

“Breaking Our Silence” to showcase stories of sexual harassment and violence

KUCHING: An exhibition to encourage survivors of sexual harassment and violence to share their stories will be held at Old Court House, Kuching, from...

Share post:

Our Opinion

More like this
Related

Rental assistance eligibility threshold now RM3,500

KUCHING: About 20,000 eligible households stand to benefit from...

Daro ADUN prays for rural-biased budget

MUKAH: The 2023 Budget that will be presented early...

Prompt wound washing crucial after animal bite

KUCHING: Proper wound washing is important especially after coming...

SUPP Simanggang targets 5,000 members

SIMANGGANG: The Sarawak United People's Party (SUPP) branch here...

MP donates computers to school

  KUCHING: SMK St Mary received eight sets of computers...

Unimas opens centre in Subang Jaya

KUCHING: Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS) is expanding its wings...

Police raid nets 368.8g ecstasy

MIRI: Police seized 368.8 grammes of ecstasy with an...

Smuggling attempt foiled

MIRI: An attempt to smuggle in various types of...

No sign of missing angler six days on

MUKAH: No new leads have surfaced on the whereabouts...

Stop toying with becoming PM again

KUCHING: Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has been advised to...

Rotarians donate fans benevolent society

SIBU: The Rotary Club of Sibu (RCS) contributed two...

Firemen alerted only 6 hours after fire started

MIRI: Thirty-four people from 20 families were made homeless...