OKU NGO suggests targeted MCO instead of full

Rapelson Richard Hamit

KUCHING: Persatuan Anak Istimewa Sarawak (Perais) has urged the government to implement targeted movement control order (MCO) instead of a full one.

Its president Rapelson Richard Hamit said on Friday (July 9) that the current MCO was a failure as many activities were still going on and the number of vehicles on the roads had increased.

On July 8, the country recorded the highest number of Covid-19 cases — 8,868, with Selangor recording the highest at 4,152 followed by Kuala Lumpur at 1,133.

In response to this, Rapelson suggested that full MCO be implemented in states that recorded over 500 or more daily cases.

“If this was implemented, other states, including Sarawak, which recorded cases below 500, can implement the conditional MCO.

“Implementing this will also enable economic sectors to operate as usual with stricter standard operating procedures (SOPs).”

Perais also urged the Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) to implement the conditional MCO as Sarawak’s daily cases had dropped below 500.

Rapelson also said dine-ins should be allowed at restaurants and food courts as well as other services be allowed to open.

“Other essential services like construction, people with disabilities (OKU) traditional massage centres, barber shops, electronic shops, clothing retailers and other sectors should be allowed to open with strict SOP compliance.”

He also received complaints that many had been affected, especially OKUs, who have lost their source of income due to the MCO.