KUCHING: The authorities in Bintulu are focused on containing the Covid-19 outbreak in Sebauh, said Bintulu MP Datuk Seri Tiong King Sing.
He said for that reason, it was important that the people in the area not move out elsewhere as it would dampen the effort by the frontliners to break the chain of infections in the vicinity.
“All decisions and actions implemented are taking the situation into account so Covid-19 can be curbed before it goes out of control. Now we have six longhouses under lockdown.
“So far, twenty-two cases have been identified, which is why we want to restrict movements so the infection won’t spread to other areas,” he said in a Facebook post on Thursday (Jan 14).
Tiong was responding to a post made by an individual on social media who questioned the lack of announcement on a lockdown in Sebauh.
“I ask netizens not to arbitrarily upload posts on social media that will confuse the community without understanding the ins and outs of the problem,” he said.
The Progressive Democratic Party (PDP) chief said it is better that all quarters seek information from the authorities to get the accurate picture rather than circulating false narratives that could incite panic among local residents.