SIBU: The police permit for work-related travel required for businesses categorised under essential services will be valid until the extension period of the movement control order (MCO) for Sibu Division ends, says the Sibu Divisional Disaster Management Committee (SDDMC).
SDDMC said those who had applied for the permit need not make a fresh application.
SDDMC made the clarification following the announcement by the Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) that the MCO for Sibu Division, which ends on Jan 29, had been extended to Feb 14.
Assistant Local Government and Housing Minister Dr Annuar Rapaee, when contacted on Thursday (Jan 28), explained that the decision to allow the extension of the validity of the permit beyond Jan 29 had been made prior to SDMC’s announcement on the MCO extension.
“We have decided together with the SDDMC and the police to extend the validity of the permit if the MCO is extended after Jan 29.
“But we cannot make the information known as we are uncertain if the MCO will be extended or otherwise for Sibu Division.”
Dr Annuar advised those who already have the permit to not worry about the validity date (Jan 29) stated in the permit.
“We can’t issue an ‘open-dated’ permit and so, we had to state Jan 29 in the permit following the date when the MCO ends.
“And now that SDMC has announced the extension of MCO for Sibu Division until Feb 14, those having the permit need not worry as the existing permit is still valid until the end of the extension period of the MCO.
“This will definitely help a lot as those with the permit need not make a new application,” added the Nangka assemblyman.