Rayong’s allegation considered baseless

Date:

spot_img

KUCHING: The appointment of 22 longhouse chiefs in Engkilili is legitimate and followed standard operating procedure (SOP) guidelines set by the state government, says a SUPP grassroots leader.

Sarawak United People’s Party (SUPP) Engkilili chief Dandi Timbang said the allegation made by Engkilili assemblyman Dr Johnical Rayong Ngipa that the appointments were a “divide and rule policy” was baseless.

“Perhaps, Dr Rayong is trying to cover the wrongdoings that he did while he was with the ruling government before jumping to United People’s Party (UPP) and Parti Bersatu Sarawak (PSB).

“The recent appointment of the longhouse chiefs made by Assistant Community Wellbeing Minister Datuk Francis Harden Hollis was to look after Engkilili as he had been tasked by the state leadership to do so.

“As a matter of fact, he was only carrying out the task that Dr Rayong failed to do so despite being the people’s representative for three terms,” he said today.

Dandi said Dr Rayong should thank Harden instead for resolving the longstanding problem.

He added that Dr Rayong himself had practised the “divide and rule” policy when he appointed two longhouse chiefs for one longhouse and doled out appointment letters to longhouse chiefs with less than 10 doors.

Dandi said he was one of the victims of this practice before as a new longhouse chief was appointed to replace him even though he was elected by Silik 2 Skim Skrang longhouse folk.

Due to this, he had to pay back the government the allowance that he received earlier.

On the appointment of the two councillors from Lubok Antu District Council as longhouse chiefs, Dandi said himself and Councillor Dabong Bauk would submit their resignation in due course.

For the record, both were not officially appointed as longhouse chiefs while serving as councillors. They fully understood the new policy in which a councillor cannot be a longhouse chief and vice versa.

Reactions vary over subsidy removal

By Neville Timothy Sanders & Nura Valentiana Lorna KUCHING: While some consumers agree with the government’s decision to discontinue the subsidy for bottled 2kg, 3kg...

Share post:

Our Opinion

More like this
Related

Petronas programme celebrates Sarawak’s cultural diversity

MIRI: The Petronas Ngiling Tikai programme is aimed at...

MoU inked to ensure sustainability of start-up programmes

KUCHING: Tabung Ekonomi Gagasan Anak Sarawak (Tegas) is committed...

Call for effective steps to curb inflation

By Nura Valentiana Lorna & Neville Timothy Sanders KUCHING: The...

AGC, Legal Affairs Division asked to study recommendations

KUCHING: The Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) and the Legal Affairs...

Talk on hoarding syndrome this Tuesday

MIRI: Are you suffering from hoarding syndrome? In layman’s...

Errant foreigners jailed 25 months each

BINTULU: Seven foreigners were each sentenced to 25 months...

Blaze leaves structure in ruins

KUCHING: A non-permanent structure was completely destroyed in a...

Man gone unnoticed from hospital

MIRI: A local elderly man went missing from a...

Sarawak Heritage Ordinance 2019 roadshow launch on June 29

KUCHING: The Sarawak Museum Department will launch the Sarawak...

Selangau, Kakus and Tamin voters reminded to not repeat past election errors

TATAU: Voters in the constituencies of Selangau, Kakus and...

Ops Tapis Khas weeds out 391 suspects in Sarawak

KUCHING: Sarawak police arrested 391 people and seized various...

Keen to learn more about digital economy from SMA

KUCHING: Terengganu is keen to learn more about the...