Dr Kelvin Yii

KUCHING: The Sabah and Sarawak Affairs Ministry has been urged to reveal the progress made on restoring the two states’ rights under the Malaysia Agreement 1963 (MA63).

Bandar Kuching MP Dr Kelvin Yii said he would seek a response from the ministry during Parliament’s session from Nov 2 until Dec 15.

“We do not want this ministry to be formed purely as an attempt to shore up political support for the unstable Perikatan Nasional (PN) government but not producing any tangible results for the people.

“Fact of the matter, on March 13, Minister Datuk Seri Dr Maximus Johnity Ongkili even said that one of his main tasks was to solve issues on the MA63 within six months.

“Since then, more than six months have passed and even in the last Parliament session, no legislations or even amendments were passed with regards to MA63,” he said in a statement today.

Dr Yii said issues pertaining to MA63 were a matter of public interest and the public would want to monitor issues affecting the two states.

“Our rights and the spirit of the formation of Malaysia should not be treated as if it could cause national harm or disorder for it to be placed under OSA (Official Secrets Act).

“That is why, I strongly believe that the ministry must make known the progress of negotiations on the rights of Sabah and Sarawak as we do not want the ministry to merely be window-dressing, drawing hard-earned tax-payers money with nothing to show,” he said.