KUCHING: Sarawak is taking extra precautions following neighbouring Brunei recording its first confirmed case of Covid-19.
The State Disaster Management Committee Secretariat said the patient had flown in to Miri from Kuala Lumpur on March 3.
The Sarawak Health Department had identified the four passengers from Sarawak seated close to him on the flight.
“They are now undergoing quarantine and are awaiting results of laboratory testing to confirm if they had been infected or otherwise.
“As such, the Sarawak Immigration Department and the Sarawak Health Ministry are tightening their health and entry screenings at all border ICQS and points of entry,” the statement said.
Sarawakians are also advised not to travel to affected countries and regions for the time being.
For any query on Covid-19, the public can contact the Crisis Preparedness and Response Centre (CPRC) at 082-443 248 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the State Disaster Management Committee at 082-443 991.
Meanwhile, the state recorded 14 new Person Under Investigation (PUI) cases as at 10.30am yesterday.
Sarawak General Hospital has the most cases at eight, followed by three cases in Bintulu, two in Sibu and one in Miri.
This brought the total number of PUI cases in the state since Jan 10 until yesterday to 247.
“Of the number, 224 had tested negative for infection. The other 23 are still awaiting results of laboratory testing.”
The Health Department had, until 11am yesterday, screened 13,025 arrivals to the state at all its air, sea and land entry points to bring the total to 444,537 screened since Feb 1 this year.