KUCHING: The Federal government has approved an additional RM3 million allocation for outsourcing of non-Covid-19 health services for Sarawak.
Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin said the additional allocation was to cover non Covid-19 surgeries and reliefs which have been delayed due to the pandemic.
“We want to send (for non-Covid-19 procedures) to the private sector, with that we have approved RM3 million for Sarawak,” he said in a press conference after a special meeting on Covid-19 pandemic management and immunisation with Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) at Wisma Bapa Malaysia yesterday (Sept 26).
He added that thus far, Sarawak has spent RM4.6 million out of RM5 million which the federal government had allocated previously for the purpose.
Khairy pointed out that this was among the measures to assist the Sarawak government in its fight against the Covid-19 pandemic.
He announced that the Royal Malaysian Air Force (TUDM) would be sending 118 units of ventilators and 1,008 oxygen cylinders to the state on Tuesday (Sept 28).
“In addition, we will also prepare 10 more modular intensive care units (ICU) and will add 20 more beds.
“10 beds will be sent to Sibu and for the remaining beds, we will leave it to the state government on where they want to put it,” he said.
Khairy said 30 more ambulances would also be provided to Sarawak which the MOH would procure soonest possible.
He said the ministry have agreed to set up a field hospital in Sibu would be discussing with the Malaysian Armed Forces (ATM) on the matter.
On request for the Sri Aman Hospital to be in operation quickly, he said the ministry was looking into how it could accelerate the opening of the hospital so that it would lessen the pressure on the Sarawak General Hospital (SGH).