Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas

ENTRY RESTRICTION

BY TANIA LAM & SARAH HAFIZAH CHANDRA

KUCHING: Sarawak will follow the federal government’s decision in barring long-term pass holders from India, Indonesia and the Philippines from entering Malaysia, with this new restriction starting on September 7.

“We are part of Malaysia, so we are going to follow,” said Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas, noting that the point of entry would be through Kuala Lumpur.

He said this when met by reporters at the cheque presentation ceremony for Unit for Other Religions (Unifor) Financial Assistance 2020 (Phase One) at Wisma Bapa Malaysia here on Wednesday.

He said it was a wise policy, adding, “So far, we have noticed that imported Covid-19 cases from these countries are quite high and the incidences in these countries are also quite high.”

“We are going to enforce the same starting September 7,” he reiterated.

Meanwhile, Uggah said that there were no Covid-19 cases reported in Sarawak on Wednesday, hoping that this trend of zero cases would continue.

Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced the decision to bar long-term pass holders from India, Indonesia and the Philippines from entering Malaysia as a result of the deteriorating Covid-19 situation in these countries.