KUCHING: Construction work of the Satok Suspension Bridge, connecting Jalan Matang to Jalan Merdeka (Kubah Ria) here, has resumed.
Public Works Department (JKR) Southern Region on Saturday (Nov 28) said the construction work will recommence today (Nov 30) and is expected to be completed by Dec 31.
“In the meantime, road users are requested to plan their trips in advance to avoid facing difficulties in the areas involved,” it said.
Road users are also told to use the road from the Tun Datuk Patinggi Haji Abdul Rahman Ya’kub roundabout as an alternative route to go to Jalan Merdeka and Jalan Matang.
“Any changes to the date, time or area involved will be made known from time to time,” it said.
In October, the construction work on the RM8.05 million suspension bridge project resumed after a long period of delay due to the enforcement of the movement control order (MCO) to contain the spread of Covid-19.
State JKR director Datuk Zuraimi Sabki visited the site recently to ascertain the progress of the project.
“The director of JKR Sarawak has requested the contractor to put in more effort in order for the project to be completed by the end of November so it could benefit the public,” JKR added.
The bridge was scheduled for completion on Sept 16 last year in conjunction with the Malaysia Day celebration, but faced a serious technical setback after one of the pillars, which was holding it up, was found to have tilted from the weight of the structure.
The original 130m-long bridge, which was constructed in 1923, had collapsed in 2004. The Sarawak government allocated RM8.05 million in 2017 to reconstruct the bridge, which will now measure 213m-long.