Schools ready to be disinfected for reopening

Sarawak Bomba director PKPjB Khirudin Drahman. Photo: Ramidi Subari

KUCHING: The Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) is always on standby to do disinfection works, including at schools.

State Bomba director Khirudin Drahman said Bomba would also give priority to schools, despite the limited number of students allowed as per standard operating procedure (SOP).

“We will make sure that the areas are completely safe for schoolchildren, without the presence of germs and viruses.

“The directive from the headquarters is also clear, and we are only waiting for the announcement from Senior Minister (Education) Mohd Radzi Md Jidin, expected this afternoon (yesterday),” he told reporters after handing over fire extinguishers and certificates of appreciation to  Kampung Sungai Buloh Simunjan Bomba volunteers at the Bomba headquarters here yesterday.

Khirudin added that once the date for reopening of schools was announced, they would have two weeks to complete the sanitisation works and all stations would be involved.

He also revealed that so far, about 80 percent of taska, taski and childcare centres had been sanitised.

“For the school level, we will work with the school to come up with a strategy when the date of reopening is announced.”

Earlier, Deputy Chief Minister and State Disaster Management Committee chairman Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas announced that taska would be allowed to operate on June 9 under strict SOP.