The SAR team continue the search to locate the missing victims at sea.

TATAU: The search and rescue (SAR) operation for two anglers who were reported missing since Sept 17 after their boat capsized in Kuala Serupai here has entered its fifth day today (Sept 22).

Sarawak Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) director Maritime Captain Zin Azman Md Yunus said the operation so far covers an area of 760 square nautical miles and there are still no new clues found.

The SAR Forward Base was set up in Kuala Serupai and as of 5.30pm today, MMEA together with the Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba), Malaysian Civil Defence Force (APM), Marine Police Force (PPM) and local fishermen have participated in the search for the missing victims.

“Apart from that, the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF)’s CN-235 aircraft was also mobilised for the search and had covered an area of 602 square nautical miles, but no clues were found,” Zin Azman said in a statement.

The maritime and fishing community along the area have been urged to prioritise their safety, especially when out at sea during an unpredictable weather, as well as to postpone any marine activities if circumstances do not permit.

The victims were identified as local man Kinminsna Kasim and an Indonesian Pendi Salim Husim. They were said to have gone fishing at 5.30pm on Sept 16, but failed to return home.

The disappearance was reported by the relatives of the victims.