KUCHING: The State Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry’s ‘Sia Sitok’ programme will continue following its encouraging reception, said its Minister Datuk Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah.
He said the second iteration of the programme, which will be announced on March 31, are not only limited to Sarawakians but visitors from West Malaysia as well.
“We want to encourage domestic tourism. That was the reason why we conducted the programme.
“Because as we know, during the holiday seasons, a lot of Sarawakians would go outside of the state to China, Singapore, West Malaysia and so on. They would not be able to explore the local tourism products.
“That is why we work to provide subsidy in terms of the costs of operators, hoteliers as well as those managing the travel and tours operation,” he said during an interview at TVS’ Sejahtera Asia programme today, adding that the current Sia Sitok programme will end on March 31.
His ministry hoped that there will be more people participating in the programme.
“Previously, it was only open to those living in Sarawak. In Sia Sitok 2, we will open the programme to everyone, including those who are living in West Malaysia.
“It is likely that we will not offer a 50 percent discount like before. Other details on this programme will be announced on March 31,” he said.
On the ministry’s plan after Sia Sitok, Abdul Karim said it will focus on the recovery of the sector, especially in terms of promoting the local products to outsiders.
“We want visitors from outside Sarawak to view our products and buy them. Through this, we can improve our local tourism industry,” he said.