Sia Sitok extended until March next year

KUCHING: Sia Sitok, a campaign by the state Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry to encourage domestic tourism will be extended until March 31, 2021.

Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah, in announcing this, said the campaign was supposed to end on Dec 31.

“However, the Sarawak Tourism Board (STB) has extended it until March 31, 2021 and bookings can be done until the end of this year. That is a good opportunity for Sarawakians who want to go on holiday early next year,” he said at a press conference after launching the E-Pelancongan programme at a hotel here today.

Abdul Karim said through the campaign, tourists will enjoy up to 50 percent discount when visiting local tourist attractions in the state.


“There are about thirty packages and up until now, there are 569 tours booked with 3,167 who had participated in the programme,” he said.

Earlier in his speech, Abdul Karim said the ministry and STB had introduced Sia Sitok following a review of its marketing strategies amid Covid-19.

“The Sia Sitok campaign aims to encourage more Sarawakians to choose their own homeland — Sarawak — as a preferred holiday destination. The campaign is also part of Sarawak Tourism’s measures to boost local tourism.

“It is also a good way of sustaining and maintaining the tourism eco-system for the industry players such as tour and park guides, drivers, operators and restaurants during these challenging times.

“To date, the campaign has generated about RM700,000 in sales and it is still growing,” he said.