SIBU: Sibu Municipal Council (SMC) chairman Clarence Ting is pleased that the people in the district are finally adhering to the movement control order (MCO).
Previously, he expressed his disappointment that some Sibu residents had been caught for not adhering to the standard operating procedures (SOPs) during the MCO such as dining in food premises or doing business in prohibited places.
On Sunday (Jan 17), Ting announced that anyone who failed to comply with the SOPs would be slapped with a RM1,000 compound effective Monday (Jan 18).
Commenting on the fourth day of the implementation of MCO in Sibu today, Ting said the environment now was “totally different” as the normally vibrant streets were now quiet.
“I am speculating that the message is getting through to the people that the MCO is in force in Sibu.
“Most shops are closed except for a few coffee shops dotted here and there,” he shared in a Facebook post on Tuesday (Jan 19).
Ting said he visited four areas, namely Jalan Maju (whole area), Lanang Lorong 1, Chiew Siik Hiong area and Tiong Hua temporary market.
During his visit to the market, he said a trader told him that there were hardly any customers at the market.
“A chicken rice seller told me his business had dropped. This sentiment is prevalent throughout my walkabout.
“I hope this outbreak will end soon so that we can all get back to normal,” he added.