KUCHING: The Sarawak government is partially funding the containment of Covid-19 in the state, said Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Seri Dr Sim Kui Hian.
“In Sarawak, because we still have a chance in the containment phase, Covid-19 positive cases are brought to hospitals or the Covid-19 quarantine and treatment centres (PKRC).
“It definitely costs more money and the Sarawak government is helping to partially fund the containment phase because Sarawakians’ lives can’t be measured by money and we want every Sarawakian to be safe,” he said.
Dr Sim said as of Jan 27, there were 1,036 Covid-19 patients being placed at Sibu Hospital and various PKRC in Sibu while seven others are in the intensive care unit (ICU).
“102 positive patients from Sibu were discharged today. This is consistent with 81 percent of patients in Sarawak suffering from mild symptoms or are asymptomatic
“In West Malaysia and Sabah, this group under Category 1 and Category 2 are being placed at home as there are too many cases and they are in the mitigation phase,” he said in a Facebook post on Wednesday.
Dr Sim also said there were deaths previously reported to be due to Covid-19 but was found otherwise after expert review.
“For example, one case committed suicide and found to be Covid-19 positive. Nonetheless, the funeral was still held under Covid-19 standard operating procedures (SOPs).
“Another case was classified to have died from massive stroke. We do know that Covid-19 causes inflammation and thrombosis (blood clot). It may aggravate the stroke,” he explained.
He said it was not easy to be certain of the Covid-19 linked deaths as there was still much to learn on the trait of the virus and its effects on human.