KUCHING: The Sarawak government will continue to provide assistance to the families of the two missing Sarawakian soldiers, Corporal David Edmund Rapi (39) from Dalat and Lance Corporal Moses Logers (25) from Bau, who were reported to have gone missing on July 19.
Welfare, Community Wellbeing, Women, Family and Childhood Development Minister Datuk Seri Fatimah Abdullah (pic) stated this despite Works Minister Baru Bian’s statement recently that his ministry will be assisting the families of the two soldiers.
“One of the soldiers (David) happens to be from my constituency in Dalat, and Morni representing his family has recently contacted me for assistance. “It was known that both families at the moment want to travel to Peninsular Malaysia to collect their (the soldiers’) belongings and return home if there aren’t any updates.
“Among other things that we are doing to help them is to provide transportation and accommodation for the families in Peninsular Malaysia should they go there on matters regarding the two missing soldiers’ case,” she told reporters yesterday here at Darul Muallimin Mosque, Taman Desa Guru.
Fatimah shared that the families had requested to take part in the search and rescue (SAR) operation or at least be given a briefing on updates, leads and current situation of the case thus, the Sarawak government also hoped that they will be given updates on the situation as well.
The two missing soldiers are from the Fourth Battalion of the Royal Ranger Regiment based at Bukit Cowder Camp, Perlis and were part of the ‘Op Pejarak.’ On July 29, Defence Minister Mohamad Sabu said that efforts to find the members of the armed forces by the three military branches had been halted on July 26, as no new leads were discovered.
On Aug 9, Baru Bian stated that he will direct his special officer to liaise with the Defence Ministry, especially the officers, who can assist the family members in the SAR operation requested by the two families.