Abang Johari speaks at the launch of GPS in Limbang.

CORONAVIRUS WATCH

KUCHING: The Sarawak government has reaffirmed its decision to refuse entry to Chinese nationals into the state.

Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg

Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg said that foreigners from other countries still have to be screened before they are granted entry into Sarawak.

He said the move was in tandem with the State Disaster Management Committee (JPBN) decision on preventing the spread of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) to the state.

“We have decided that we must insulate our state from effects of the virus.

“We have also decided that all foreign nationals must be screened upon entry and in the meantime, citizens of affected countries are not allowed to come to Sarawak,” he said.

Abang Johari told a media conference yesterday that the state government was looking to purchase thermoscanners to be used at all entry points in the state.

“We have to provide it on our own and we are being cautious on the virus and want it to be contained,” he assured.

On Wednesday, JPBN issued a statement to bar entry to all foreigners who have travelled to China in the past 14 days to ensure that the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) does not spread to Sarawak.

Additionally, Malaysians who are not Sarawak residents who have been to China in the past 14 days are strongly advised not to come to Sarawak.

It also said that all Sarawakians, Sarawak permanent residents, those with working permit pass and student visas who had been to China in the past 14 days must undergo compulsory 14-day home quarantine period.

They would be subject to random health checks and only allowed to move around after being confirmed to be free from the coronavirus.