KUCHING: Sarawak today (July 6) recorded 286 Covid-19 positive cases which were fewer compared to 424 cases on July 5, and two fatalities.
The Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) said the cumulative total number of cases now stood at 67,271 while the death toll was 421.
It said 199 cases or 69.58 percent of the new cases were detected in the Kuching, Subis, Miri, Sibu and Bintulu districts.
The Kuching district accounted for 85 new cases; Subis 50 cases; Miri 32 cases; Sibu 21 cases; Bintulu, Saratok and Serian (11 cases each); Song and Asajaya eight cases each; Sri Aman and Kapit seven cases each; Bau, Bukit Mabong and Telang Usan (five cases each); Tatau and Samarahan (four cases each); Kanowit (three cases); Sarikei and Tanjung Manis (two cases each); Simunjan, Selangau, Meradong, Beluru, and Lundu (one case each).
Of the new 286 cases, 29 were symptomatic during the Covid-19 screening, said the SDMC.
It added there were 371 new recoveries and discharges from hospitals statewide.
Of these, 108 were from the Sarawak General Hospital and the Low-Risk Treatment Centre (PKRC) under it; 70 from the Bintulu Hospital and the PKRC under it; 42 from the Sibu Hospital and the PKRC under it; 37 from the Miri Hospital and the PKRC under it; 36 from the Sri Aman Hospital and the PKRC under it; 26 from the Serian PKRC ; 19 from the Mukah PKRC ; 17 from the Sarikei Hospital and the PKRC under it; 12 from the Kapit Hospital and the PKRC under it; two from the Betong PKRC and one each from the Lawas PKRC and the Limbang Hospital .
These bring the number of recovered and discharged cases so far to 56,745 or 84.35 percent of the total number of cases in Sarawak.
There are 9,950 individuals still undergoing treatment at PKRCs and hospital isolation wards in the state.
The SDMC said the two death cases involved local men in their 50’s.
The first death was that of a 59-year-old man from Pakan who tested positive on June 22.
“He received treatment at the Sarikei Hospital and had high blood pressure, and diabetes,” it added.
The committee said the second death was that of a local man from Sibu who had no comorbidity.
“He was brought to the Sibu Hospital and tested positive on June 29,” it said.