KUCHING: Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) members stranded overseas are allowed to return to Malaysia starting today (May 17), said Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri.
She said this was following the easing of the movement control order (MCO) imposed since March 18 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, which had now been replaced with the conditional movement control order (CMCO) from May 13 until June 9.
She said based on the ministry’s record, there is currently a total of 253 MM2H members including their dependents who had been stranded abroad and had requested to return to Malaysia.
“While the government is concerned and shared the plight of the stranded MM2H members abroad during the MCO, we hope that they could understand the challenges faced by the government in dealing with the scourge of Covid-19 that has been spreading rapidly throughout the country.
“Towards this end, the government has given its utmost priority to protect the populace including the MM2H community from Covid-19, as well as to secure Malaysia’s border from the spread of virus,” she said in a statement yesterday.
Shukri emphasised that MM2H members who were returning would have to comply with all MCO requirements, including a medical screening at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport and observing 14-day quarantine at the quarantine station, as well as bearing the accommodation cost at said station.
“Last but not least, the government of Malaysia wishes all the stranded MM2H members a safe journey back to their second home, Malaysia, and to be happily united with their loved ones,” she said.