KUCHING: Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) advisor Datuk Seri Dr Sim Kui Hian predicted the three digit Covid-19 daily cases in Sarawak will take some time to subside.
“With or without the movement control order (MCO), Sarawak’s (Covid-19 daily cases) will remain at three digits for the next two to four weeks,” he said in a Facebook post on Wednesday (April 14).
Dr Sim said while 436 out of the 489 new Covid-19 cases recorded on Wednesday were already in quarantine, the R-naught is now at 1.18.
“This means that for every 100 new infected cases, it will be transmitted to about another 118 persons,” he said.
Earlier Wednesday, the National Security Council had apparently uploaded an infographic on Facebook which said Kuching, Miri, Meradong, Bintulu and Sibu would be placed under MCO from April 16 to 29.
It was taken down moments later but by then, the infographic had been widely shared on social media.
Sarawak had earlier recorded 489 new Covid-19 cases bringing its total to 21,448.
Dr Sim said the trend of high Covid-19 cases would be compounded by the emerging South African variants of the coronavirus in West Malaysia.
“With the opening of more economic activities and sectors, in the next 4-8 weeks, it would not be surprising that Malaysia may hit five digits (in Covid-19 daily cases) despite (the ongoing) vaccination,” he said.