Three new deaths recorded today

KUCHING: Sarawak recorded three new deaths involving Covid-19 infection on Wednesday (June 9), bringing the state’s Covid-19 death toll to 330.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) said the 328th death involved a local 66-year-old man who passed away at Kapit Hospital.

The case was confirmed to have Covid-19 on May 25 and he suffered from comorbidities of high blood pressure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

The committee said the 329th death involved a local man aged 79 years who also passed away at Kapit Hospital.

They said this case was confirmed as Covid-19 positive on May 24 and he had comorbidities of high blood pressure and chronic kidney disease.

Meanwhile, they said the 330th death was a local 66-year-old woman who passed away at Sibu Hospital.

They added that this case was confirmed as Covid-19 positive on May 28 and she had comorbidities of high blood pressure, diabetes, and dyslipidaemia.

On the Covid-19 immunisation programme in Sarawak which began on Feb 26, SDMC said that on Tuesday (June 8), 5,234 people had been given their first dose of the vaccine while 6,872 received their second dose.

“Cumulatively up until June 8, a total of 254,743 people has received their first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine (8.9 per cent of the total population of Sarawak), while 125,650 people have completed their second dose (4.3 per cent of the total population).”