Two fatalities bring Sarawak death toll to 44

Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas

KUCHING: Two more senior citizens in Sibu succumbed to the deadly Covid-19 virus on Thursday (Feb 4), bringing the death toll in Sarawak to 44.

Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) chairman Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas said the first victim was Case 3,441, a 60-year-old local man who was referred to Sibu Hospital after having breathing difficulties.

“The case underwent rT-PCR test twice for close contact screening to a cluster last month. His second test result on Jan 24 came back positive for the virus.

“The health condition of the case deteriorated and he was pronounced dead on Feb 4,” he said in the daily Covid-19 update here on Thursday.

The case had comorbidities such as high blood pressure, gout and seborrhoiec dermatitis.

Meanwhile, the second fatality was Case 3,192, a 79-year-old local man.

He was admitted to Sibu Hospital after his rT-PCR test results came back positive on Jan 23.

“The case had symptoms of fever on the day of screening. His health condition deteriorated from then onwards and was pronounced dead on Feb 4.

“He had nasopharyngeal cancer comorbidities over the last 20 years with metastasis to the brain and also needed oxygen therapy at home since the end of last month.”

SDMC extended heartfelt condolences to the family members of the victims.