KUCHING: Eateries and hawker outlets in Sibu are urged to adhere to the standard operating procedures (SOPs) by the authorities where their workers must be vaccinated with at least one dose before allowing dine-ins at their premises.
Sibu Municipal Council (SMC) chairman Clarence Ting said the council will enforce the policy strictly to ensure that it is observed.
“Over 80 percent of Sibu residents have received their first dose of Covid-19 vaccines as reported by Sibu Division Disaster Management Committee (SDDMC) advisor Dr Annuar Rapaee.
“SMC in tandem with such promising figures will enforce for all hawker outlets, licensees and assistants must be vaccinated at least with one dose before they are allowed to operate,” he said in a Facebook post on Sunday (July 25).
Ting hoped that all licensed food outlets would follow suit and have all their staff vaccinated before serving their customers in the interest of public safety.
“I anticipate more and more establishments will enforce proof of vaccination before allowing customers to their premises.
“So, if anyone you know is still unvaccinated, please highlight them to me. The Sibu Health Department do not want to leave anyone out of this vaccination drive,” he asserted.
In a Facebook Live session last Saturday, Dr Annuar said a total of 84.3 percent of the population in Sibu who are eligible for Covid-19 vaccination have received their first dose.
He said the data recorded as at July 22 this year, translated into 211,330 out of the total 250,735 individuals eligible for the vaccines.
He added, 52.3 percent — or 131,118 individuals from the total have received their second dose.
Earlier this month, Sarawak allowed dine-in at eateries state-wide. Operators and their staff are required to have had at least one jab of the vaccine in order to resume business.