KUCHING: The authorities have considered various factors before cancelling this year’s Ramadan bazaars, said Tupong assemblyman Fazzrudin Abdul Rahman.
He said the bazaars had been cancelled mainly because of the rising Covid-19 cases in the state as well as the inability to ensure that the standard operating procedures (SOPs) could be properly enforced.
“The Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) has to take prompt action in dealing with Covid-19. Various considerations have been taken before arriving at the decision,” he said in a livestream on Saturday night (April 10).
The Tupong assemblyman said, however, the state government still allowed traders to sell food in front of their houses.
“But the traders must adhere to the SOPs outlined. Similarly, the patrons must abide by the guidelines and should observe physical distancing,” he said.
Fazzrudin said while the Ramadan bazaars were cancelled, the Pasar Malam Belia at Metrocity Matang was unaffected.
“When they resumed operations (last year), we asked that the SDMC check the SOP compliance in the area and the flow of patrons.
“They saw how we managed the arrival of patrons and not allow too many people to come into the night market at one time.
“The night market is not only selling food but also other items,” he explained.